Malarky and Shenanigans
3 Fun facts for St Patty’s Day Dancers
1) We all know the term doing a “jig” and we imagine a shuffle-like move with bouncy knees. But did you know the word comes from an old French word ‘gigue’ which means small fiddle. Now you know!
2) Ever wanted to know how to do a perfect leprechaun style heel click? Cross your left leg in front of your right. Kick your right leg out to the side and bring the left heel toward the right. Jump higher for more air time, but just think of bending one leg and clicking the other one to it. Try it a few times, disclaimer** no leprechauns were harmed while practicing this heel click.
3) Did you know that in Irish folklore leprechauns would pinch people who weren’t wearing green. So in following this gives free rein to pinch whomever you see not wearing green this St. Patty’s Day. Just don’t tell them Arthur Murray made you do it. We don’t want to be responsible for this malarky;)))
So this St. Patty's Day we wish you a day of rainbows, four leaf clovers, mischief, and dancing!!
Come on in this Thursday In Santa Rosa and try some shenanigans and malarky we will be having a Rainbow Relay Race among other fun activities at our Dance Party. Want to get in on the Arthur Murray style good old fashioned fun? Come on by on: Thursday March 16, Group class starts at 7:00 and the Party Starts at 8:30.
Or Come in THis Friday in Napa! Napa's Party Night is on Friday with Group Starting at 7:30 and The green Party at 8:15
Free for Members, $20 for non-members.
5 Things dancers do every morning!
Move: You get up each day and stretch out and maybe even try a pirouette or some arm-styling in the mirror.
Dress to dance: You plan your outfit around what you can dance in. You swish and shimmy, making sure you can lift your arms and take a good stride.
Eat for energy: As a dancer its important to eat for energy so you are conscious of this as you eat breakfast and plan your lunch.
Check your studio calendar: You are on a need-to-know-basis about which classes are going on today. You also double check your private lesson appointment time.
Listen to Music: You are always listening to music because it makes you feel more alive. Even if it the first tune you jam to is as you drive to work, a good song invigorates you at least once a day.
How to be the best attitude in the room:
Everyone’s looking at you because you are a radiator of lightness and internal freedom. Thats how you know you are a superhero of smiling.
When you come across a villain you vow to make your good attitude bigger than their bad attitude. Thats how you know you are a superhero of smiling.
There is always going to be a nay-sayer around but when you run across that grump in the cha cha group class you just smile and brush off their bad vibes. You’re not going to let this energy vampire get you down, not you, because you are a superhero of smiling.
Misery loves company and this grump is quick to tell you everything that is wrong, they are always tired because it’s exhausting being a villain. Don’t join them in their lackluster grump-a-thon. Instead make a U-turn at that energy depleting haunted house and high tail it out of there faster than the speed of light. Thats how you know you are a superhero of smiling.
You just love a challenge and take each day on with glee, whether sunny or rainy you’re grateful for either and thats how you know, you’re a super hero of smiling!
So cheers to you all who brighten our world, we are so pleased to have so many wonderful superheroes in our dance community.
Join the movement and wake up and be a superhero everyday. Slay those villains with your smile and cheer!! Thats how you know you are a superhero of smiling!
We are so proud of our students and staff who participated in District Showcase!!
Some of the highlights:
1. Beautiful costumes!! 2. Making new friends. 3. Getting to reach goals. 4. Finding visions for new goals. 5. Getting outside of our comfort zone. 6. Fun!! 7. Building community with AM Santa Rosa Team Members. 8. Getting to see the staff bust it out. 9. Cheering on our teammates! 10. Seeing the professional shows and routines.
Just in case you missed it, come by for our in studio Extravaganza October 6th and see an encore performance of this routine as well as loads of great student numbers!!
So lastly we just want to say a big thank you to all we came this time and hope to see you at the next show case April 2017!
The Wacky World Festival
Festival is underway!!
We just had our first two Festival parties of the season and had so much fun with all of the wonderful students who were adorned in the wackiest gear they could muster! This year’s theme is Time travel, so we kicked it off with futuristic gear. Funny glasses and shiny pants fluttered about as we all boogied the night away. Next we traveled back in time to the 80’s and 90’s with last Thursday’s Grunge and Glow party.
So what is Festival, you might ask?
Festival is a six week themed party period that happens each year in the beginning of summer, throughout all Arthur Murray’s worldwide. It's a great time to get use out of any wacky clothes you have stashed away in your closet, and find an excuse to shop for more quirky apparel you would otherwise have no rational purpose for acquiring.
During Festival, our students compete for prizes based on participation and school spirit. Our teachers are also competing with each other and teachers worldwide to see whose students are the most spirited! Stop by the front desk for more information on how you can get involved in Festival this year. Or stop by a Thursday night party to check it out for yourself!
Our Festival parties are free and open to the public, so come on in!
Check out our Calendar to get in on the Fun!
Its more than just dancing.
Today at the front desk, a student who was just finishing up her Discovery program took some time to gush about her experience.
“Thank you so much” she said, “It really is more than just dancing, its the whole experience!”
Its true! Our mission has always been to change lives through dancing, so we seek to help you have an experience beyond just dancing each time you are here. In fact, this is why we start by having new students fill out a benefit sheet. This little homework item lists the top 20 benefits people have found they get out of learning to dance aside from the obvious - Learning to dance!
So here they are in no particular order:
1. More fun and enjoyment out of social life
2. Increased self-confidence
3. Meeting people and making new friends
4. Better health and physical benefits
5. Social Ease
7. Make a special person happy
8. Enjoying and attending more parties
9. Business reasons
10. Acquiring more grace and poise
11. Stand out on the dance floor
12. Overcome shyness
13. Relieve Stress
14. Never again say “no” to a dance invitation
15. Recreation or entertainment
17. Competition Dancing
18. Artistic expression and/or love of dance
19. Sense of achievement
Which are your top 5 benefits?
Whether you want to make a special person happy, or want to branch out on your own and overcome shyness, dancing is a great choice to accomplish personal goals as well as dance goals!
So come on in! No partner necessary! Contact us for a Free Private Lesson!
1 CommentPost a comment